We hope to give you inspiration with our various design concepts and materials used to create functional and aesthetically pleasing paved surfaces in outdoor spaces such as patios, walkways, driveways, and garden paths.
These established durable paving examples show how the right paving can endure in your landscaped back yard. Some of these images look pretty old and yet the paving looks like it should be there.
Paving serves as a foundation for outdoor areas, providing stability and defining the overall look and feel of the space. Here are some popular outdoor paving ideas:
- Concrete Pavers: Concrete pavers are versatile and come in various shapes, sizes, and colours. They can mimic the appearance of natural stone or create a modern, sleek look. Concrete pavers are durable, low-maintenance, and relatively affordable.
- Natural Stone: Natural stone, such as flagstone, slate, or granite, offers a timeless and elegant look. Each stone has unique characteristics, colours, and textures. Natural stone is durable and can withstand weather conditions but may require occasional maintenance.
- Brick: Brick paving creates a classic and rustic atmosphere. Bricks come in different colours and patterns, allowing for diverse design options. They are durable, slip-resistant, and easy to replace if damaged.
- Gravel: Gravel is a cost-effective option that can be used for driveways, pathways, or patio bases. It provides a casual and relaxed ambience and is relatively easy to install. However, gravel may require occasional leveling and can be challenging to walk on with high heels or wheeled devices.
- Interlocking Pavers: Interlocking pavers are individual units that fit together like a puzzle, creating a sturdy and flexible surface. They come in various materials, including concrete and natural stone, offering a wide range of design possibilities.
- Cobblestone: Cobblestone paving creates a charming and traditional look. The rounded or irregularly shaped stones give a timeless appeal to outdoor spaces. Cobblestone requires professional installation and can be more expensive than other options.
- Stamped Concrete: Stamped concrete involves imprinting patterns or textures onto freshly poured concrete to mimic the appearance of stone, brick, or other materials. It offers a cost-effective alternative to natural materials while providing design versatility.
- Porcelain Tiles: Porcelain tiles are a durable and low-maintenance option for outdoor paving. They come in various colours, patterns, and textures, and offer resistance to stains, frost, and fading. Porcelain tiles can create a modern and sleek outdoor aesthetic.
When considering outdoor paving ideas, it’s essential to consider factors such as the intended use of the space, climate conditions, maintenance requirements, budget, and desired aesthetic to select the most suitable option. Consulting with a professional landscaper or contractor can help ensure the best choice for your specific needs.